Brain’s Elite: Best Medical Schools for Neurosurgery
Training in Neurosurgery would land you to study disorders in various aspects of the nervous system, which includes the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. The specialty of neurosurgery is upscaling and emerging as the most significant branch of medical science, getting recognition from some of the world’s best medical schools for neurosurgery.
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) has stated around 41% of the average acceptance rate for medical schools in the United States.
- The required scorecard to get into the best medical schools for neurosurgery is as follows.
- Average MCAT Score – 511
- Average GPA Score – 3.72
Best Medical Schools for Neurosurgery
It would be tricky to clarify what is best for you and what is not. However, suppose you come across the best medical education platforms; despite that, you cannot proceed without knowing such an intrinsic stream of neurosurgery which has been moving so near to advancement in studies of brain and neurological disorders and getting into the best medical schools for neurology.
Let us understand the application of neurosurgery in medical school and how promising the career is in the neurosurgery stream of medical science.
If you find studying the nerves exciting, the neurosurgery course has plenty of opportunities to explore not confined by the brain and nervous system only but the spinal cord and peripheral nerves as well.
In its scientific advancement, Brain is upscaling with new inventions in research and development that require high-caliber expertise and micro-level practices using advanced technology. Neurosurgeons deal with nano-invasive surgeries of brain parts, spinal cords, and peripheral nerves and treat the conditions of tumors, seizures, spinal cord injuries, and degenerative diseases.
You may get to learn about the anatomy, physiology, and pathology of the brain and nervous system in one of the best colleges for neurosurgery.
- Observe and participate in the neurosurgical procedure during the laboratory practicals and experiment clinical rotations and learn about patient care, surgical techniques, and diagnostic evaluation.
- Consider the substream under the umbrella of neurosurgery; medical schools offer elective subjects or courses under the branch of neurosurgery, such as neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, and neurosurgical techniques.
- Ongoing current development of new treatments for brain and spinal cord tumors, along with the genetics of brain and spinal cord tumors investigation, neurosurgery has a great scope of research and build the most promising career.
- In recent years, Traumatic brain injury (TBI) has emerged as a major public health concern; neurosurgery has opened a new window to understanding the mechanism behind Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and developing ways to mitigate and prevent its effects as a part of the medical resolution.
Top-Ranked Brain Surgeon Schools for Aspiring Neurosurgeons
We’ve listed top-ranked brain surgeon schools for aspiring neurosurgeons here, which may help find the best colleges for neurosurgery.
- The University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- It has a 7 years program of neurosurgery residency program and gives admission usually to two to three residents every year. The program is accredited by Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
- The American Board of Neurological Surgery (ABNS) has given a high board certification rate for the quality of education and facilitation.
- Under the department of Neurosurgery, set in the UK Chandler 945-bed academic medical center located at the UK campus in Lexington, KY, the strong foundation of clinical skills, research, and scholarly activity has been conducted for years to get into the list of top-ranked best Brain Surgeon Schools.
- Yale University, New Haven, CT
- Since 1702, the historical yale university has contributed numerous inventions in the field of education and research work. It offers 7 years of the neurosurgery residency program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
- The faculty members of Yale University have performed amazingly with their neuroscientific research works and delivered high-quality, practical exposure to neurosurgery students; and is considered the best college for neurosurgery by the American Board of Neurological Surgery (ABNS).
- This renowned medical school is located in New Haven, Connecticut, United States. The Yale School of medicine and Department of Neurosurgery has well-equipped tools and laboratories for nano-invasive surgical practicals.
- Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- It has been the home of the Stanford Neurosciences Institute since 1885, producing experts in the field of medical science and technology.
- Stanford Hospital and Clinics and the Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital are partnered with the Stanford school of medicine under their Stanford healthcare system, providing the hospital unit experiences and detailed ground exposure to practicals and neurosurgical applications.
- Its world-class research facility under the renowned and popular research faculty, members, and professional neurosurgeon experts pave the way for students to get hands-on experience on drill organs and surgical situations.
- The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- The university has developed a simulation-based training program for neurosurgeon residents, and with fidelity simulators, the residents can get real-time techniques and procedural experiences.
- Surgical skills, neuroscience, and patient care are being taught under their neurosurgery boot camp and their comprehensive interdisciplinary training program in collaboration with different specialties in neurological education. It is in the top 25 ranked by the times higher education in the united states.
- It provides a wide range of research opportunities for neurosurgery residents and has highly regarded state-of-the-art facilities recognized by the American Board of Neurological Surgery (ABNS).
- Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- The neurosurgery program is conducted under the Wexner Medical Center in the state of Ohio, with a qualitative and quantitative approach to delivering world-class education and facility in the domain of neurosurgery.
- It has a top-notch laboratory school embedded with well-equipped tools. Technology, equipment, devices, and other AI-friendly machines and quality measurements for exposure to real-time operation.
- Offering the 7 years neurosurgery residency program by the Ohio State University, it is recognized by the U.S. News & World Report 2022, under the top-ranked brain surgeon schools.
- The University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL
- It offers a 6 year of neurosurgery resident program that includes one year of general surgery, five years of neurosurgery training, and a comprehensive education and training curriculum embedded by the simulation lab practices.
- The program also provides clinical and research opportunities for students under other hospital care, including the University of Miami Hospital and Clinics, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, and Jackson Memorial Hospital for hands-on experiences.
- Based on the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP), the neurosurgery residency program has had a 100% match rate for the previous year and has a track record of providing a prestigious class of neurosurgeon education and training.
- University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Under the university of Pittsburgh, PA, you get the seven years of neurosurgeon resident program packed with one year of general surgery, other than the core education and to-class research scope and lab experiences.
- You can get a broad range of clinical experiences in the domain of neurosurgery, including different rotations at the VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System, the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC), Presbyterian Hospital, and Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.
- The Department of Neurological Surgery under this university is considered of under top 25 programs in the country according to the U.S. News & World Report. It is also considered home to the Neurosurgical Oncology Laboratory.
See More: Latest Trends Surgical Tech Schooling
Preparing for a Career in Neurosurgeon Colleges
Not all medical schools provide neurosurgery residency programs, but they may still provide neurosurgery education or training as an elective specialty subject. However, we believe you should always look for brain surgeon schools or neurosurgeon colleges accredited by the Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and offering a neurosurgery residency program.
There are approximately 4,800 board-certified neurosurgeons in the United State of America, according to the American Board of Neurological Surgery (ABNS) reports. As the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) suggested, around 107 medical schools offer neurosurgery residency programs.
These brain surgeon schools have dedicated departments, structured curricula, and domains of neurosurgery and neurology. You can get access to their affiliated teaching hospitals where you are exposed to hands-on experiences of surgical procedures and lab environment.
How long does it take to become a neurosurgeon?
Medical school graduation in 4 Year long neurosurgery degree course, added by 1 Year of general internship and 6 years of neurosurgical residency training program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), the journey of a professional neurosurgeon has the length of exciting opportunities to grow.
There are several specialized areas of neurosurgery, and many neurosurgery residents opt for the fellowship program one or two years after completing their residency course. Following are the different neurosurgery specialties.
- Pediatric Neurosurgery
- Cerebrovascular and Skull Base Surgery
- Endovascular Surgical Neuro-Radiology
- Functional Neurosurgery
- Neurospine Surgery
After high school, generally, it takes a minimum of 13 to 15 years to become a neurosurgeon after dedicated education and training.
The usual breakdown of how long it take to become a neurosurgeon has given here as follows. You can check them to get a brief idea to support your future plan to get into the brain surgeon schools and project your neurosurgeon career.
- Undergraduate Degree – 4 years (Prefered Science Background)
- Medical School Degree – 4 years
- Graduate Residency Program in Neurosurgery – 6 to 7 years
- Fellowship Program – 1 to 2 years (Optional)
See More: Best Medical Schools: Rankings, Programs & Admissions
In this article, we’ve briefly covered the best medical schools for neurosurgery, their states, the quality of education, and other facilities. We have also discussed how long does it take to become a neurosurgeon and have highlighted an admission scorecard of the best neurosurgeon colleges.
Which medical school produces the most neurosurgeons?
Stanford University, Stanford, CA, and The University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY produce the most neurosurgeons in recent years.
Which country is best to study neurosurgery?
California, the United States, and the United Kingdom provide high-quality, cutting-edge neurosurgery institutions.
Do Neurosurgeons go to medical school?
Yes, they must complete their 4-year long medical school degree in a recognized university or institution accredited by and 7 years long neurosurgery residency program for medicine.