Disabilities are not always life-threatening. Some also bring happiness to the world after they are cured. Pregnancy can be termed a short-term disability as there are some conditions and complications where a mother can not go to work.
This may result in a lack of funds and paycheck cuts. New mothers might be wondering about their financial conditions during pregnancy. They might also have questions like: “Is pregnancy a pre existing condition for short-term disability?” or “Can I get financial benefits for being pregnant?”
Short Term Disability Pregnancy Pre Existing Condition
Several short term disability insurance plans consider pregnancy as a pre existing condition. However, this disqualifies most women from getting the insurance plan benefits immediately. However, there remains an option of buying maternity leave insurance for already pregnant females and short term disability insurance for maternity leave if already pregnant for females wishing to get financial stability.
Although there are few financial assistance programs for pregnant or already expecting women. Still, there are a few short term disability pregnancy pre existing condition assistance plans that can be looked out for.
Some options include personal loans, debt relief, medical care, and government assistance programs for short term disability pregnancy pre-existing conditions. There is also maternity leave insurance already pregnant women.
Here’s how you can apply for this short term disability insurance for maternity leave if you already have pregnancy plans and other maternity leave insurance for pregnant mothers.
- There is short term disability insurance for maternity leave if pregnant women apply for it. This maternity leave insurance for already pregnant women provides excellent help to single mothers and mothers with low income.
- Short term disability pregnancy pre existing condition causes several physical, mental, and, most importantly, financial issues.
- Pregnant women already go through a lot; the short-term disability insurance for maternity leave if already pregnant provides a sense of financial security and stability to them.
See More: Get Government Grants For Surgery 2023
Important Clauses To Understand To Avail The Benefits:
Insurance benefits are great in times of crisis, but the chances of them providing the needed assistance if the applicant is pregnant are very low. Do you get short term disability while pregnant? We shall discuss this in this article comprehensively.
There might be chances that insurance companies might invoke the short term disability pregnancy pre-existing condition clause when you register yourself for the claim form. However, if you wish to avail the benefits of the insurance plan, you might fall under one of the following categories:
- Short term disability insurance for maternity leave if already pregnant Approved Claims: These approved claims are for the losses that occur after the effective date and for the conditions that are not pre-existing.
- Diseases such as Cancer, Heart Disease, and other primary and co-morbid conditions are included in the short term disability insurance for maternity leave if already pregnant.
- Other conditions like pregnancy, postpartum disorders, and childbirth also make the applicant eligible for the short term disability pregnancy pre-existing condition insurance plans.
- Maternity leave insurance for already pregnant females’ Denied Claims: These denied claims are for losses excluded by policy legal language.
- Pre-existing pregnancies, diseases, injuries, and other pre-existing conditions fall under this category of short term insurance plans.
- If the childbirth occurs within 9 months of the effective date and that too, normal childbirth, then such women would fall under the denied claims for short term disability pregnancy pre-existing insurance plans.
Eligibility Criteria For These Plans:
While applying for short term disability insurance plans, there are significant chances of approval if the applicant is pregnant. However, most new policy applications will likely ask you a particular set of questions.
This ensures that the applicant is in good health during application. However, not all these questions have to be pregnancy-related, but general health questions. Most insurance companies are bound to accept the new policy applies even if you have a short term disability pregnancy pre existing condition. But if you fail to follow other underwritten rules, there might be a problem.
The said rules are the following:
- Does the applicant suffer from a severe illness?
- Has he/she been in an accident recently?
- Has the applicant missed 10 consecutive days of work in the last year?
- Is the applicant currently employed?
Once you have understood all the legal angles of applying for short term disability pregnancy pre-existing condition insurance plans, you must register yourself and submit the necessary documents.
All the details regarding the application process can be obtained from the company’s website or the office of the insurance company that you have chosen to claim your insurance.
Is Pregnancy a Pre Existing Condition for Short Term Disability?
Before I tell you whether the pregnancy is a pre existing condition for short term disability, let me tell you how pre existing conditions determine when insurance claims are to be approved. Well, a pre existing condition is one for which you might have received treatment or diagnosis before enrolling in a new health plan.
Before 2010 and the passage of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), insurance companies used to review an applicant’s application form for enrollment. If they found out that the applicant had a pre existing condition, they might deny them the coverage or offer the insurance at a higher rate.
However, recently The ACA made it illegal for health insurance companies to deny medical coverage to anyone or raise rates in lieu of a pre existing condition. So, one thing is clear even if you are pregnant, you can apply for insurance, and you are eligible to get the claim benefits.
Now, coming to the question: is pregnancy a pre existing condition for short term disability? The answer is NO! You cannot be denied coverage if you conceive before enrolling in a health plan.
Neither would you be denied the benefits of your health plan, nor would the charges be increased due to the pregnancy.
Coverage for pregnancy and childbirth initiates from the day you register for the plan. The second thing about the query: “Is pregnancy a pre existing condition for short term disability?” is that there are no waiting periods either. Medical insurance plans have no waiting periods, even for pre existing conditions.
However, it would be best if you wisely chose the health plan keeping in mind your medical needs. If you have an acute or ongoing medical condition, such as pregnancy, requiring more frequent care, then these needs can affect your plan.
Still, one thing is absolutely final you would not be denied coverage or charged more due to the pre existing condition. Several insurance providers can provide you with the required financial help.
Can I Get Short Term Disability Insurance For Maternity Leave If Already Pregnant?
Short term disability insurance for maternity leave if already pregnant is mainly provided by the company that employs you. Still, if, in any case, they deny you this benefit, then you also have an option of buying a short term disability pregnancy pre existing condition insurance plan from other sources.
However, if you think these plans will cover all the losses from the beginning of your pregnancy till childbirth, then it is untrue. A new policy will only cover pregnancy-related losses after you are done with the delivery of your baby.
There are 2 types of short term disability insurance for maternity leave if already pregnant: Voluntary Plans & Individual Policies
One must consider the advantages of voluntary plans for short term disability insurance for maternity leave if already pregnant. These kinds of maternity leave insurance for pregnant females are obtained through employment.
It means that only your employers can provide you with the benefit of these kinds of voluntary plans. These voluntary plans are considered group coverage and the only option providing claim payments for normal childbirth.
If the childbirth is vaginal, it will be 6 weeks minus the elimination period. If it is a cesarean section, it will be 8 weeks less the elimination period.
Must Read: How To Get Free Braces With Medicaid?
- It is a known fact that people change jobs quite often. That is why it is in the hands of the employer to alter the benefits of these voluntary plans.
- Some companies reduce or limit the enrollment time to one month out of the year.
- This way, the employees would easily miss out on the opportunity of applying to insurance plans at work.
- To rid people of anxiety related to catching the timeline, a new option of BUYING these voluntary short-term disability insurance for maternity leave if already pregnant plans have been introduced.
- With these plans, you do not have to worry about the timeline. You can apply for them whenever you wish to.
- It also means you can keep the coverage in force wherever you work. It also saves you from falling into the short term disability pregnancy pre existing condition trap if you get pregnant again.
Individual Policies might be less beneficial for short term disability if the applicant is pregnant. These policies usually do not make claim payments for childbirth or any future conceptions – it does not help with existing gestation either.
But, buying an individual policy that is entirely unrelated to the company you work for or is outside of your employment area can still have great merit. However, in this process, you may realize that there are several other vital methods to protect your income.
These individual policies might cover claim payments for other short-term disability pregnancy pre-existing conditions or maternity leave insurance already pregnant. They can be divided into 2 states, and they are:
- Claims During Pregnancy
- Accidental Injuries that might occur during pregnancy are included under this title for the claim.
- Unrelated Illnesses are another issue considered at the time of claim payment under the title of short term disability pregnancy pre existing condition.
- Any Future Pregnancies
- This title consists of emergencies like medical complications before your due date.
- The claim payments under this title also cover postpartum medical disorders after childbirth.
Pregnancy is the most beautiful time of a female’s life. One should not pass it in anxiety and worry about financial conditions. That is why these short-term disability insurance for maternity leave if already pregnant plans are so important for working women and their families. This maternity leave insurance for pregnant women provides financial security to expecting and new mothers.
See More: How Much Does a Mommy Makeover Cost?
Find an insurance company that suits you and select an insurance plan from that company that suits your financial and medical needs. This would allow you to go through the process of pregnancy without worrying about post-delivery charges and all the charges incurred during the pregnancy.
Can pregnancy be considered a pre-existing condition?
No, pregnancy is not considered a pre-existing condition while signing up for health insurance, However, pre-existing conditions refer to the medical conditions or illnesses that exist before a person’s enrollment in an insurance plan.
Is pregnancy a reason for short term disability?
Yes, pregnancy can be a valid reason for short term disability and attain the valid ground to receive the benefits offered by insurance companies; this also includes the conditions of childbirth or post-pregnancy.
Can you get short term disability for pregnancy complications?
Yes, there are chances to receive the benefits under the short term disability for your pregnancy complications that cause you to be unable to work for some time.
How long is a pre-existing condition?
It is not explicitly defined by a time frame, and the duration varies for each insurance policy and plan. Generally, it is considered between 3 to 12 months or even more.